What is Lucid Dreaming?

The basic definition of lucid dreaming requires nothing more than becoming aware that you are dreaming. However, the quality of lucidity can vary greatly. When lucidity is at a high level, you are aware that everything experienced in the dream is occurring in your mind, that there is no real danger, and that you are asleep in bed and will awaken shortly. With low-level lucidity, you may be aware to a certain extent that you are dreaming, perhaps enough to fly or alter what you are doing, but not enough to realize that the people are dream representations, or that you can suffer no physical damage, or that you are actually in bed.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

4.1c

EXPLORING THE WORLD OF LUCID DREAMING
By Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D. and Howard Rheingold (Ballantine, 1990)
A practical guide for lucid dreamers. The first half of the book establishes a basic understanding of sleep and dreams, followed by a progressive series of exercises for developing lucid dreaming skills. These include cataloging "dreamsigns," your personal landmarks that tell you when you are dreaming, the Reflection-Intention and MILD techniques for becoming lucid within the dream and methods of falling asleep consciously based on ancient Tibetan Yoga practices. Induction methods are followed by practical advice on maintaining and guiding lucid dreams. After presenting the lucid dream induction techniques, Dr. LaBerge explains his understanding of the origin of dreams, founded on current views in the sciences of consciousness and cognition. This provides a foundation for the methods of employing lucid dreams to enhance your life, which are detailed in the second half of the book. The applications considered are: adventures and explorations, rehearsal for living, creative problem solving,overcoming nightmares, healing, and discovery of expanded awareness and spiritual experience. Many delightful and illuminating anecdotes from lucid dreamers illustrate the use of lucid dreams for each application. See Annotated Table of Contents for more details. You can order from Amazon.com.

49 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting!
    I follow / I support:
    http://hardupgamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucid dreaming is a very interesting topic that I've always wanted to look into but never had a chance... Following for more!

    Following and supporting!

    http://garagezoku.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. trippy. i'm tryig hard, but i don think i'll ever get it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article. I can sometimes lucid dream. It's so weird, but at the same time so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try this tonight. Following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow can lucid dreaming do that much for you? I never knew...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might try this, it seems prety interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article. I can sometimes have lucid dreams, it fun and weird at the same time, u shed some light into this matter, tks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your sources. I always been interested in being able to have a total control of my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've recently been experimenting with African Dream Root which is supposed to bring you into contact with your ancestors during intense lucid dreams, hasn't been successful thus far. You're meant to prepare some question about your life that you want answered. I'll report back with his/her/it's response.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tried to do that. But i think its impossible to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having a 4month old makes this impossible but its intriguing all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i always wanted to be able to dream lucidly

    ReplyDelete
  14. NICE TITS FUCK THIS SHIT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucid dreaming for dummies. You should write it and I should buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is some pretty interesting shit dude.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have also been lucid dreaming for a while 1+ years but now I can't even seem to dream anymore, maybe the nyquil has something to do with it sicne I was also having trouble falling asleep. Back on subject, it was a very interesting read =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been trying to lucid dream for awhile now. can't seem to do it on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great post. whenever i lucid dream i fly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to see a blog on this. I've always gotten stuck. I'll have the realization that I'd dreaming and then I'm awake, so I'm looking forward to more tips and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love lucid dreaming. I do it every morning. alarm goes off. hit the snooze. 1 in 4 chance i lucid dream.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Been training lucid dreaming for few weeks now, with no results :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. since i've been doing meditation i've improved my lucid dreaming as well! thx for sharing the book. will have a read.

    following

    ReplyDelete
  25. tried last night without much success. will give another shot tonight

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting information here. Followed

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm actually quite frightened by the idea of lucid dreaming, heard some stories about people seeing really strange things. I have tried it but the dread keep me from actually succeeding in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. looks awesome, but sometimes i don't trust my own brain... lol... maybe i'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lucid Dreaming sounds to scary for me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah, sounds scary to me aswell!

    ReplyDelete
  31. yeah, it is very interesting I don't ever heard about it !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Interesting...kinda scary though lol

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ahh Lucid dreaming sounds quite frightening actually... Coming to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I believe we could share quite a bit of info with each other. Lucid dreams [only evoked two so far] give such freedom that it's amazing. On the other hand they kinda screw you up when you start to wonder about reality :D

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it when I'm in this frame of mind while dreaming, looking at your face or the sky is always a trippy experience. Usually sitting down in the dream will help you to stay in it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i just want to be able to sleep but this is cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dude I really wanna get a water tank. Shit was be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i would love to be able to lucid dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  39. I heard about this before, never experienced it myself but it sounds awesome to do it

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm trying to get into lucid dreaming myself. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  41. mmm
    Now i know how do that....
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I always dream very lucid. I remember everything of my dreams, but they're mostly nightmares, so I'd rather not.

    ReplyDelete